August 17th is quickly approaching and you may be thinking about the upcoming school schedule. Whether you decide to put your child in school face-to-face or do total virtual learning from home, you just might need a place for them to go every other week while you go to work or get a break.
A Time for Science will be hosting two separate programs with 30 kids maximum. These programs will go along with Pitt County Schools AB schedule, so we will have one group of 15 kids one week, and a totally different group the next. These groups will remain consistent throughout the fall semester to help minimize the mixing of children as a recommendation to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Outdoor Adventures in Learning
with Virtual Learning Support
This program takes place from 7:30-3:30 Mon-Fri for K-8 students. An extened stay option until 5:30 is avaible as well. This will look a lot like our summer camps, with a variety of lessons throughout the day along with support for each student’s virtual learning responsibilities through Pitt Co. Schools. Your child will have quality learning experiences from leading professionals in their field. This could be an unforgettable Fall for your child!
- Students will learn about the night sky and how it changes from Summer to Fall from our planetarium Director, Brian Baker. Weekly planetarium shows are scheduled to learn about the Milky Way Galaxy, Space exploration, the Sun and its effect on our weather, and all kinds of space oddities.
- Students will experience outdoor lessons about plants. How do trees change from Summer to Fall, water plants and their importance in the ecosystem, photosynthesis, and the uses of plants all taught with hands-on experiences.
- Students will learn what grows in a Fall garden? Planting and harvesting Fall garden produce, learning what parts of garden plants are edible and how to care for a garden organically.
- Students will learn about animal habitats including the tiny macro invertebrates to mammals. Trail hikes to observe animal homes and evidence of animals will be experienced every week. Learn how animals prepare for Winter. Hikes down the Bird Trail, Animal Trail and Tree trail with our environmental educator, Sam Eubanks will be exciting and memorable experiences.
- Students will have weekly visits from a paleontologist that will be an unforgettable experience. Students will learn about geologic time and how scientists have learned about plants and animals that have long since been extinct. Fossils will be brought to each lesson and students will be able to ask questions and engage with a knowledgeable professional.
- Students will have free play time that takes on a new experience as students play on an all-natural playscape. They will also be taught how to kayak and will experience weekly kayaking in our very shallow lake.
Outdoor Adventures in Learning offers in person science education, outdoor activity, and virtual learning support for K-8 students. The program will run from August 17, 2020 – December 18, 2020 for Zone B and from and from August 20, 2020 – December 11, 2020 for Zone A. Each program will consist of one constant group of 15 Zone A or B students who will meet daily at our Grifton Location.
Click your Zone to register now!
Pitt County Schools will follow an A/B week schedule. Learning Zone A students will participate in learning experiences at school starting while Learning Zone B students will participate in at home virtual learning. Then, the following week Zone A and Zone B will swap their learning experiences.
If your student is in Learning Zone A, register for Zone A. Our Zone A programs start on August 20, 2020.
If your student is in Learning Zone B, register for Zone B. Our Zone B programs start onAugust 17, 2020.
If your are Full Virtual, have your pick. Or even pick both!
To ensure that we limit the exposure of students and our staff to new people and groups please commit to your child attending for the whole semester when registering for this program. Registration is capped at 15 participants for each offering.
Registration covers the first week’s fee. After the first week the program fees will be billed monthly at a bi-weekly rate.
A discount is available for siblings. However, this option is only for siblings of another student who is registered for the program. K-5 grade students only. Ensure that there is one instance of the Student registration in your cart before checking out. Otherwise, your order will be canceled, and a cancellation fee will be applied.
An Extended Stay option is available. With this option pick-up time will be extended to 5:30pm.
Each program will be available during teacher workdays.
Student: $175 per child per week
Sibling: $150 per child per week
Extended Stay Student: $200 per child per week
Extended Stay Sibling: $175 per child per week
Following registration fees will be collected monthly.
Health and Safety
The health and safety of program participants and staff at A Time for Science is a priority. We will be following all recommendations by the CDC to prevent the spread of COVID-19 as we begin to offer programming to the children and families in our community.
We will be:
- Conducting intake screenings for the children as they check in each morning (This screening consists temperature checks and screening questions assessing potential symptoms)
- Requiring all participants to wear face coverings
- Following recommended social distancing guidelines
- Routinely disinfecting surfaces and equipment
- Following a frequent and scheduled hand washing regimen with participants
We ask that you:
- DO NOT bring your child if your child OR anyone in your contact circle is exhibiting potential symptoms of COVID-19. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- Adults checking in/checking out the participant wear a face covering at the point of contact with staff at A Time for Science.